Skip to main content

Merry Christmas Ho Ho HO! And thanks to the united postal service for not coming through.

I know I'm not supposed to complain about the USPS, because they are having a hard time and they are attempting to better themselves.  Also, my beloved step-father-in-law was a postmaster.  But, seriously...USPS, get it together.  I ordered poinsettia stamps like 3 WEEKS ago for myself and for my company holiday cards and they still have not arrived.  On your website, you specifically state that it will take 2 days usually, and to leave 2 extra days during the holidays.  But it's been 3 WEEKS.  You've made me look really bad in front of my boss, who I convinced to wait for special poinsettia stamps instead of using the work stamp machine.  And, you made it so that my holiday cards went out way late to my own friends and family, which is embarrassing.  I had to print out stamps at the post office which clearly are not poinsettia stamps.  They are inferior reindeer stamps with barcodes on them.

And so now, dear reader, you know why your holiday card from me is arriving later than usual and with a stupid reindeer stamp that is clearly inferior.  If you do not receive a card, I did not send you one.  Deal with it.  Getting married this year meant that I had to double the number of cards that were sent out, which was another unexpected side effect of marriage that I had not expected.  That and buying twice the number of presents, which is expensive.

This year, my own family did a secret santa exchange, which was da bomb.  Instead of buying 10 different presents, we only had to buy 1 or 2 for one person.  It was great.  We also gave gag gifts.  The best ones were from my mom to Andy and Ryan, who received oven mitts outfitted with windshield scrapers.  Maybe this does not make sense to you, but it does to those of us who live up north and forget to bring gloves out to the car only to find that scraping is necessary.  It gets COLD.  That's why the oven-mitt-scraper is a great idea.  Thanks mom!

So also, this year, I did not write a holiday letter.  I decided that if you are interested in knowing what is going on with me, you can read this blog entry.  This gives you, reader, the choice of reading this letter and does not shove it in your face like some other people I know who send out christmas letters.

And, here's a recap of 2013.  I got engaged.  I got a new job.  I got married.  I got a roommate with a Rottweiler named Teddy.  I got an alopecia spot on top of my head.  These were the major milestones.  Please contact me separately if you have questions about any of these events and I will fill you in further.

Everything is good.  There you have it.

I want to wish everyone a very happy holiday season!  I hope that your 2014 is really awesome and that you appreciate being given the choice to read this holiday blog entry.  Or not read it.  I don't care.  Just don't make fun of my late holiday cares with inferior stamps.

Sincerely,
Kate





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Baby Debate

Hello everyone. There has been something on my  mind for quite some time, and I think it's about time to hash it out with ya'll. Babies I've had several conversations recently with people sans babies who are questioning whether they really want to get themselves into the situation of having babies.  I count myself as one of these people. The problem is that the longer you allow yourself to be sans-baby, the more chances you have to watch how the lives of people with babies change.  As an outsider, you witness the reality of a situation wherein your friends' lives are basically usurped by the baby.  Your own situation, with its privacy, sleeping in, personal time and extra spending money starts to look awfully appealing, and you aren't sure you want to let it go. Maybe this sounds selfish, but I don't see it that way.  I think it's just about what kind of life you want to have. From my perspective right now, here's how I see it. Having a baby, p...

Men Just Don't Understand

I have a theory. And this theory is that Men just don't understand. Let me tell you a story. Yesterday at work, I was talking to my friend Yvonne about how my good friend and her family are probably going to move abroad and I suddenly was completely overwhelmed by emotion.  If you're a woman, you know the feeling.  I knew the next words coming out of my mouth would be wavering.  My eyes started to well up.  I couldn't even exactly express why I felt so MUCH at that moment, but it was a lot.  It was everything...my friend moving away, my friends and I not seeing each other as much, our lives moving onward and apart.  But mostly, it was hormones. On my way home a little later, my parents called to say hi.  "How was your day?"  My mom asked.  "Well...I don't know.  I felt down today."  I told her.  "I found out that my friend is probably moving abroad and, I don't know...I just suddenly got really sad about it." My dad join...

"Welcome to Motherhood" - An all encompassing guidance manual

Hi guys,  Thanks to Clive Higgins for his suggestion on the title for this blog post. In this post, I shall attempt to summarize what I have learned so far about new motherhood. Let's start though, with the fact that I'm tired.  I'm bone-deep, in another world tired.  It doesn't matter how much help I get (and I have a LOT of help)...this tiredness makes me feel like I'm not actually here.  I'm really deep inside my head somewhere, sort of swimming up toward the surface.  When people talk to me, I try to find the appropriate words sometimes and they won't come.  I told Ryan the other day that I could probably lie down in the median of the highway, up against the metal divider in the dirty grass with the plastic cups and detritus all around me and fall soundly asleep.  I think maybe it is starting to get slightly better, but I'm unsure.  Really, I should be sleeping now and not writing this blog post.  But it feels so good to do somethi...